Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Being a kid in the fall


glitter-graphics.com
I started my pediatrics rotation today at a local elementary school clinic. This elementary school just happens to be one I went to as a kid. I felt like I was in a time warp! Everything looked exactly the same! I signed in at the front desk, got my visitor's pass and headed to the school's nurse. The nurse there was absolutely awesome! You know when you see people at work and they're happy / content / and actually enjoy what they do?? Well she happens to be one of those rare people and you can tell that she is EXACTLY where God wants her to be *AND IT SHOWS*

We started our day by going over the list of various children that had to take medicines during the day ie: asthma inhaler / insulin etc.
Slowly, a trickle of children came in for things such as sore throats, headaches and the theme of the day: hurty tummies. We must have seen at least 12 kids with some type of stomach bug, 4 in which ended up going home. Some came in for a bandaid for a boo-boo and others ice packs for bruises.
It was amazing to me the many walks of life of children that crossed our path today. One girl came in and we had a discussion about clothes. She said that due to her religion she could not cut her hair nor wear anything but skirts and long sleeve shirts. She told me how badly she wanted to wear a pair of blue jeans.
Another child came in who was 7 years old and actually diagnosed with Schizophrenia. Okay, first of all you are not technically suppose to diagnose a child with psychotic disorders until the age of 10 or 11 for developmental purposes. This child had been sexually abuse by a family member and had a parent in jail.
Situations like these make me all the more thankful for those who work with children on a daily basis. Special education kids, ADD/ADHD kids, boys & girls club kids etc.
If I was faced with a child's parents who did not care about their kid in any way...let's just say that quite a few non-Christian words would come out of my mouth. One thing in the medical field that hurts so much is seeing a child hurt.

On a lighter note, God allowed me to Ace my first Psych Nursing exam!!
I've got some mid-terms coming up very soon in both O.B. and Peds. *Prayers needed please!*

The weather is trying to cool off up here in Tennessee. It's suppose to be in the mid-80's for the rest of the week and then taper off into the 70's next week. *WAHOO*
If you cannot tell by my layout and photos...I LOVE FALL!! Memories of bundling up in hooded jackets running in my backyard and diving into a huge pile of leaves crosses my mind. The scent of fall in the air is like a smokie crisp aroma that fills your lungs with energy. Apple cider and pumpkin carving...
My mom would sing the 'Leaves' song to my brother and I in the car:
"Leaves are falling down, falling to the ground.
Leaves are falling, leaves are falling to the ground"

*happy sigh as I regress to memories of fall*

0 comments: