Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Things...

Lots of things have happened this week. I started school on Monday and was blessed to pass my dosage and calculations exam the first time! *happy booty dance*
I also found out that I am completely clear to start my last clinical *ie: student nurse insurance updated; vaccines updated; TB skin test updated; OSHA test completed*
I hope to be starting my last clinical within the next 2 weeks. This semester happens to be awesome in that we are responsible for attaining our 240 clinical hours before the semester ends. There are no set days for clinical. I like the flexibility, especially with my work schedule.

Aside from school matters, I also have a big piece of news to share with everyone.
*those people faint of heart might want to sit down for this one*

I went to the doctor on Tuesday and discussed a rather important matter with her. My weight has not changed, regardless of eating better and exercising. So I asked her opinion about possible bariatric surgery *ie: gastric bypass*
I never in a million years thought I would even consider something as life altering as gastric bypass but with the current state of my health and the fact that I'm only 24 years old, I have been thinking about it a lot lately.
To my surprise, my doctor wrote me a referral to a bariatric surgeon. Due to my hashimoto's thyroiditis/ PCOS/ Depression /history of seizures, my doctor thought that I might benefit from gastric surgery. After calling the surgeon's office I was given an appointment to see the surgeon on October 27th.
I went by the surgeon's office on my way home from school today to fill out a rather large packet of information concerning my current health amongst other things.
I asked one of the receptionists if I could get my appointment moved up earlier and to my surprise they happened to have a cancellation & moved it to September 29th!
I'm doing TONS of research about the gastric surgery and what helps is that I have a handful of friends that have had it done *one has had the surgeon I will have*
I have a great support system going on, including my family! *well..most of them*

So basically, I wait until my appointment to get the process started. I will have many MANY tests done prior to the surgery. ie: EKG/Blood work/Psych eval/Sleep apnea testing etc.
What helps a lot is that my insurance will cover the ENTIRE process! *surgery and all!*

I've found some great websites for gastric bypass information to help with the process:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/

http://www.bariatricedge.com/

As a result of the surgery, my move to Florida will be postponed. I am thankful that my family understands how important this is for me.

If you want to follow my journey to a healthier me visit my blog:

http://newzamy.blogspot.com/

1 comments:

Kelly said...

Wow, that's a huge step, but very exciting. I don't know if you've ever read the Body of Work blog that I link to on my weight loss blog, but the author is someone who had some form of weight loss surgery (I can't remember which) a couple of years ago. She is extremely open about what she went through and how it has affected her physically, mentally and emotionally.

Good luck and keep me posted!