Sunday, August 3, 2008

Getting batty at 4 am

-----------------Update---------------------Aug 4th

So mom's reading the newspaper and sees the following: *click on the following link*

RABID BAT BITES BLOUNTVILLE RESIDENT

...how comforting.....


Wow...so I wake up at my usual time at 4 am and head to the bathroom. As I was walking back to my room I hear my mom doing a mild freaking-out cry. Sleepy and half conscious I walk to her room and ask her whats up, she looked at me and said, "a bat was flying around my room and got in my face! Go wake dad up." Half amused I walk down the hallway to the staircase *not expecting anything whatsoever* and all of a sudden this bat swoops down in front of my face and I let out the most girly-blood-curdling scream known to mankind.


The bat apparently was flying around the living room trying to find a way out. As I got closer I saw one of the cats trying to run after it, thinking it was one of the bold cats (ie: harry, teddy, izzy) but no...it was my timid, half bald, de-clawed Emmy kitty!!


Needless to say I ran to my room and called dad on his phone downstairs. After a few rings he answers in a groggy half comatose voice, "yeah...?" After explaining to him about the bat, man that he is, he came up stairs to see what he would be dealing with.

Without so much as a thought, he looked me in the eyes as serious as can be and asked, "Do we have a tennis racket anywhere??" Taken back by his question I was reminded of the movie, The Great Outdoors. The more I thought about the whole situation, the more it seemed just like the bat scene in the movie. Dad went downstairs to find something to get the bat out of the house with as I stood in the hallway laughing to myself about the situation. While reminiscing about the movie of my childhood, the bat proceeded down the hallway right at me and again I let out the blood-curdling-girly scream and ran to my room.
I think dad ended up stunning it when he whacked the bat with a broom and threw it outside.

My dad deserves the dad of the year award for being his fearless self when it comes to animals/insects/scary situations.






So yeah....that was our fun morning today....

(a pic Geoff took a year ago up the chimney
where we suspect our guest came from)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Growing up in northern California, I had never seen a bat. I imagine we have them, but I had never seen one up close and personal. Anyway, on a vacation with my husband to a lake in Arizona, I noticed all of these "birds" flying around after dark and asked my husband what on earth kind of birds would be flying after dark. I let out the same kind of scream when he informed me they were BATS!

Unknown said...

this. is. HILARIOUS!!! I can't believe it!! I hope you guys have recovered!!! I love you!!!