Friday, December 28, 2007

A Woman's Prerogative



For the past few years, my mom has helped me collect things for when I move out on my own. I have a vast collection of beautiful dishes, pots & pans, silverware etc. My mom's philosophy is that a woman can be successful on her own and that she does not HAVE to depend on a man *or anyone for that matter* to make a good living.

As part of my Christmas present this year, my mom got me a set of professional cookware pots & pans. When I got home from work lastnight a big box was waiting for me in my room. Apparently my dad was upset when he found out that mom had gotten me more things for when I move out. *I think he was just stressed from life in general and the thought of another of his kids moving out* He asked mom why she was getting me all of these things because, "Amy won't need them, she can just move in with someone". Mom replied, "I want Amy to know that she does NOT have to depend on anyone to make it in this world."

Wow...and I thought the whole 'poor pitiful, I can't do anything on my own woman cliche' was gone from the world....I guess not!


On a lighter, yet related note, the past two days my family has been helping my twin brother pack up his things for a move to his first new apartment! He is getting married in June and the Lord blessed him with a nice apartment perfectly located between work and school. I love it when God ordains something as 'good' because EVERYTHING falls into place perfectly!! For instance, Geoff was trying to find a decent coffee table/side tables for a good price *that weren't too schmultzy*. He finally gave up trying to find such things and focused on the main necessities: big comfy chair and a place for his HD tv/surround sound *must be a guy thing* Anyhow, an LPN he works with just happens to live 3 apartments down from him and is trying to get rid of a a solid oak coffee table and 2 side tables for $100!! Geoff was like, "That's exactly what I needed!!"

So needless to say, everything is working out fabulously for Geoff and the new apartment!! PRAISE GOD!!

0 comments: