Thursday, September 20, 2007

Inspiration at 3 a.m.


Inspiration is a funny thing because it fuels the energy we need to step out in faith... even at random hours of the morning... *grins*
For a good portion of my life, art has been a driving force for my inspiration. Various artists such as Van Gogh, Degas, Kandinsky and Monet held a particular place in my heart for many MANY years. The richness of colors and the personal aspects of life being depicted through paint and pastel basically 'sealed the deal' that art was and always will be an important part of my life.

Nursing was never a field of interest for me, even though my best friend in the world *Mom* has been one for over 14 years. I told her many times while growing up, "Mom, I appreciate what you do...but I will NEVER be a Nurse."
About three years ago, the Lord stepped in and spoke to my heart as I worked a random secretary job in an E.R. I have NEVER felt more peace about anything in my life as I had at that moment. Of course my mind said something like, "HA! Yeah..sure..me a Nurse??! I'm horrible at science and sick people and death are not two things I wanna be around 24/7."
Needless to say, after LOTS of praying, and a few required classes later, I applied to ETSU's college of Nursing program *with only a 3.2 GPA*. For those of you who do not know, this program is very hard to get into. The average GPA to get in is between 3.4-3.7, not to mention that there are various people on waiting lists to be accepted. So you can imagine my surprise when I got accepted for the graduating class of 2008, along with my twin brother Geoff. Ever since that fateful day when the Lord spoke to my heart, I have lived from day to day in complete awe that he would ordain me to do such a noble and complex job for a career!

Well, I'm currently in my third semester of Nursing school *with only 2 left to go* and now more than ever I feel the strength of the Lord pushing me through. Here is a basic overview of my week for this semester:

Monday: School from 8a-4pm
Tuesday: Clinical 6am-4pm *a month each of Psych/Pediatrics/O.B.*
Wednesday: Clinical *same as above*
Thursday: Clinical *same as above*
Friday: School from 8am-1pm
Saturday/Sunday: Work 7a-7p in the hospital

Yeah... I'm taking 18 credit hours plus working 24 hours on the weekend not to mention the never ending process of studying.

Seem overwhelming?? It is, but God has blessed me ABUNDANTLY each and everyday with renewed peace, patience, love, joy, understanding and strength.

So in a nutshell, the reason for this 3 a.m. post is my Heavenly Father. He is my reason for reason, my reason for being. He is what has created us individually to do things beyond what we ever thought possible. God is my inspiration.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Dear Amy, so happy that you do your part, the listening part, in the God's plan thing. So many times God is yelling a plan at folks and yet because they won't pray and sit and wait for an answer, God never gets a "word in edgewise". Good for you!! Also, I too love Kandinsky and saw a special showing of his works here in Chicago a few years ago of works brought from overseas that had not been in America - totally awesome and sooo textural that I spent time looking at things 5 ft. and 1 ft. away. I have a poster from art.com of one of his pieces that I want to get matted and framed some day. It resonates with me. My other favorite piece I haven't yet gotten but will.

Lynette said...

I know it can be a bit freaky for a total stranger to leave a comment on your blog, but I promise that is not my intent. I just wanted to encourage you that you are definitely not the only one who has ended up doing something they said they'd NEVER do after God intervened. One of my favorite sayings right now is, "In God's will, the line between point A and point B is rarely straight." That comes from a children's minister with an accounting degree. :o) Looking back, every step was really headed in the same direction and I'm grateful for every one of them.